Monday, December 24, 2007

December 23rd

I haven’t travelled on this day since 1996, and now I remember why. The airports were absolutely insane, with fog in London and other delays in Chicago that added four additional hours to my journey. I wish I could have taken pictures of some of my fellow travellers but with security being what it is, I just thought it was better to catalog their looks in my mind. I was pretty calm at the start of my journey, just glad to go home. When I was in the Heathrow Airport in London, I saw a man with a toddler in a backpack on his back fighting with the probably one year old he held in his arms. I thought to myself, no matter what happens today, I am quite sure that my flight will be more peaceful than his! Wouldn’t grandma and grandpa be just as happy seeing those kiddies over the webcam instead of braving air travel?

I noticed a big difference in attire between the travellers in London versus those in the Chicago. Most folks in the U.S. flying yesterday had their sweats or their pajamas on. We were already ready for relaxation time!

As I was walking back through security in Chicago after going through customs, there was a guy in front of me wearing the biggest, most ostentatious Green Bay Packers parka. When he walked through security in front of me, all three of the security cards started ribbing him very loudly about the fact that the Bears had beaten them 35 to 7 Sunday. While I’m not a football fan, here’s a rivalry I at least understand.

I don’t think I have ever been so happy to be in the St. Louis airport. Merry Christmas to all! I hope you have a restful holiday.

No comments: