Monday, November 12, 2007

Thanksgiving Stress

So the social calendar at the B&B for us guests who never leave is getting quite full. I have been designated cook for a Thanksgiving meal next Thursday so they can all experience the joys of American holiday cooking. I was asked last night, what other traditions come along with Thanksgiving besides the meal. I laughed to myself thinking of my friend S, in his Southern accent talking about putting on his “fat man pants” to relax in front of the television. I simply said, American football.

So now I am freaking out about what to cook for a few reasons.

1. I’m not a confident cook. When someone comes to my house to eat, as I am serving them, I am usually going through a litany of mistakes that occurred as I cooked their meal. I also haven’t cooked ANYTHING in at least three months. And before that, H did most of the cooking so I’m also a cook that’s way out of practice.

2. This is a meal that I am going to be cooking when I get home from work and to do it right, Thanksgiving cooking should be an all day affair. Last year, H did the turkey, I did the side dishes, and A did the dessert. We were so busy cooking that we didn’t realize until we sat down to eat later in the day that we were all still in our pajamas we were so focused.

3. There is no refrigerator space for make-ahead dishes. The average UK refrigerator is smaller than the average U.S. television set. There’s no room for storing things, let alone massive leftovers.

I have been discussing this with my friend M, who writes a hilarious blog. I asked her if she thought I could do some kind of casserole. You know where the conversation led from there. Do I dare open the door to cream of mushroom soup and the inevitable green bean casserole?

I need to come up with a basic menu and then go to the grocery store and figure out what I can make from the ingredients that are available. I have seen sweet potatoes at the store and of course getting fresh rolls will not be a problem. If I am really stuck, I just need to get good wine!

1 comment:

Poodlebugz said...

Glad to hear you have a few more days to stress...I mean "prepare"! Here's a link to some other dishes that might be helpful. I got it from Slashfood.com, which is a great site.

http://www.slashfood.com/2007/11/15/thanksgiving-marisas-round-up-of-possible-side-dishes/

Call or write if you need any more help! Good luck!!