Sunday, November 4, 2007

BritRail Pass - Part Two




I had to use the second day of my Britrail pass so I decided to go down to Canterbury. I had these visions of travelling all over the place with my pass, but I have found that the trains in England are not as speedy as you might think, or maybe the way I plan an itinerary is backwards. With my Eric Clapton Autobiography in hand, I boarded the train for my own personal pilgrimage. Being an English Literature major in college, I remember The Canterbury Tales being the oldest text that I enjoyed reading.

I was so engrossed in my book that I didn’t stare out the window the whole time but when I did I saw lots of sheep on the countryside. I did actually get to see a border collie shepherding in a group which was amazing. I would highly recommend visiting this city. It has a wonderful mix of old and new.

The cathedral is beautiful and so are the walls surrounding the city. There is an excellent mix of shops and restaurants.

Since I have moved here it has been painful buying a book at full price. There are many charity shops (like our Goodwill or Salvation Army) on all of the high streets in every city that benefit the RSPCA, Cancer Research, etc. and they always have loads of books for as low as 50 pence. Because of the bargain price I find myself having to talk myself out of buying as much as I want at times. In Canterbury OxFam, which has charity shops all over, has a separate bookstore that is packed from floor to ceiling. I went in to browse because I have decided that I want to read Jack Kerouac’s On the Road but refuse to buy the “anniversary edition” with its inflated price, especially since the author is deceased. I wasn’t quite sure if it was considered fiction so I went up to the counter thinking I would ask although I doubted the clerk would know their entire inventory. Before I could get my entire sentence out I was told, “It would be classified in fiction if we had a copy but we don’t, thank you”. My bargain hunt continues…

No comments: