Friday, October 26, 2007

Food Memories

I have mentioned in the past that I have a friend in the States that spent a good portion of his teenage life in England. I had a work-related call with him yesterday and after we finished talking business he asked, “So what do you eat every day?” He wanted to reminisce over his favourite foods from the UK so we talked about pasties, doner kabobs (like a gyro), and chippies (fish and chips shops). He asked me if I had visited any of the bakeries. I told him that there is a bakery on the high street here that I pass every morning and they have the most decadent looking treat. It is a long donut split down the middle, filled with cream. I told him how every day since August when I walk past I think I’m going to go get one of those today. What has stopped me is that I have a floor to ceiling window in my office that looks out to the rest of the staff and I could just see them looking in at me as I was eating this messy donut and losing any ounce of respect I might have. I could shut the blind on the window but I have not done that yet and it seems a bit much to do that in order to eat a donut! I am going to get one of those donuts one day. They look like heaven (and hell).

1 comment:

Poodlebugz said...

GET THE DOUGHNUT!! If not for you, get it for me!! For me!! And, take a picture of it before you eat it for all us folks "back home."