Sunday, September 2, 2007

Sunday



Today was a lovely day. After having breakfast with my hosts, I walked into town and had a cappuccino as I read the Sunday paper and then went on a long walk. The park across the street from where I live had a Medieval festival today so I walked through and took some pictures. The signs advertised food and drink but all I saw was the ice cream truck and an outdoor bar. So if one was so inclined, one could have a 99 flake with a shot of Jack Daniels on the side!

My host, L, had a birthday yesterday so I was invited to a barbecue at the house. I laughed when she invited me because she said if I didn’t mind spending the afternoon with a bunch of English people, they would like me to come. I laughed because that is kind of how I spend all my days after all. I was glad to be included and spent most of the afternoon talking to her older relatives about politics and English culture. Their stories were wonderful.

P.S. The other night when I was out to eat we started talking about fish and chips. I haven’t had any since I have been here. One colleague suggested I try it at one of two places, either down on the coast or at a Chinese restaurant. I asked why a Chinese restaurant and he said that some of the fish and chips places around here cook their chips early in the day and just let them sit. I think I will wait for a visit to the coast.

1 comment:

Lee Anne Bryant said...

Hi - I'm Beth's friend from the Library in Huntsville who is living in Italy. I have to tell you that even though we are in a great place, we are jealous of you and your family b/c England is where we REALLY wanted to be! I think my husband must have lived in the UK in a previous life!