Monday, September 24, 2007

Observations

I stayed in bed with my first English cold yesterday so I compiled a list of observations:

I have decided that flat (top) sheets are not popular on beds, at least in the world of UK hospitality. We noticed it when visiting back in June and my bed at the first hotel and now the two at the B&B never have top sheets.

The word “bits” is used a lot more here. Like the other day, a colleague described putting the customer’s bits (documentation in this case) on a USB drive, and L sometimes brings me a basket for breakfast that has my bits in it like crumpets or croissants. I’ve also heard the term “naughty bits”, which I am sure is self-explanatory. Why don’t we use it more?

Pudding is dessert. It’s kind of like how in the South all carbonated beverages are “Coke”. Sometimes people just shorten it and say “pud”, which I love.

They use the word "garden" like we use yard. So a house can have a back garden and a front garden.

I went to dinner at a friend’s house Saturday and they served stuffed marrow. I had never heard that term before, but I found out afterwards that it is a squash.

Going back to the pud, Gu makes this lovely little chocolate pudding called “mini pud”. By American standards, it is way smaller than any packaged dessert that you can buy from the refrigerator section at the grocery store but so much better. Rather than getting a big tub of flavorless Swiss Miss Pudding, this actually tastes like rich chocolate. Why do we always go for quantity over quality?

1 comment:

The Gnome said...

Stuffed marrow ? Fantastic, I am sure this a rare treat for many visitors to the UK. But a squash ? Respect the marrow ! It's a vegetable in its own right - but never a squash !