Friday, September 21, 2007

The Naked Cafe


I have heard folks at work talk about “the naked lady café” and didn’t want to look like an idiot by asking what they were talking about. I asked L, who knows everything about our little village and she said, oh they must be talking about The Drawingroom which is a little art gallery and lunch café on High Street. Maybe it was called that because of the logo which is the back of a woman’s corset. I thought today at lunch I would go check it out.

Eating outside today was out of the question because of the weather so I was directed upstairs for a table. As I walked up the stairs, it was increasingly apparent why this place had been granted the nickname. Every piece of art was a tasteful (some questionable) female nude. As I looked at the paintings I asked myself, would I bring A here? I mulled it over and thought, well yeah, it’s just the human body, a female human body, we should not be embarrassed. At that moment, I looked at the other wall in the room and it had a larger than life-sized painting of a nude male angel in all his glory. It was something to behold! Ugh, on second thought… On reading the website, I see that the building is haunted by a female presence. Maybe the naked angel has to be there for her enjoyment or she starts throwing teacups against the wall.

Check out their website. However, you might not want to look at the art link if you are at work!

No comments: