Tuesday, August 28, 2007

How We Are: Photographing Britain


My work colleague who is a member invited me to meet her at the Tate Britain to see this special exhibit. I was so excited to go and it didn’t disappoint at all. The point of the exhibit was to show all aspects British life through photography and the collection was stunning. The exhibit was divided into sections, and in the 1970’s there was a British photographer who travelled all over the country photographing average people in black and white. These pictures truly captured a slice of British life. Before I left the States, I was listening to an interview on Public Radio of someone who produced a period television show and how when you do the art direction for a show like that you can’t just look at say catalogs or fashion magazines of the time because that does not actually reflect the fashions of the time. I was reminded of this when looking at these black and white photographs because there were some young people wearing probably cutting edge outfits of the time and then others wearing much more dated looking clothes and hairstyles. For a newby like me, this was very informative. Here is a link if you are interested in learning more.

No comments: